Sustain Wales Awards 2016!
Cynnal Cymru – Sustain Wales announce the winners of the Sustain Wales Awards 2016.
On Thursday evening 17th November, the Sustain Wales Awards will celebrate the leading organisations and individuals in Wales championing sustainability. The awards ceremony, sponsored by Llyr Gruffydd AM and hosted by Actor and Cynnal Cymru Principal Consultant, Rhodri Thomas will take place in the Senedd in Cardiff Bay to an audience of national and international businesses working to create a more sustainable Wales.
Over the past few months Cynnal Cymru received 67 applications from organisations across Wales who have all undertaken outstanding work to help achieve Cynnal Cymru’s mission of making Wales a sustainable nation.
An expert panel of judges discussed and scored all of the applications, which consisted of Former Premier of South Australia, Hon Mike Rann AC; Head of Policy and Innovation at the Future Generations Commissioners Office, Rita Singh, and Chair of Cynnal Cymru – Sustain Wales, Derek Osborn. The judges shortlisted the amazing applications to the 30 highly commended finalists who will all be attending the awards. Since September over 11,300 individual votes were cast by the public which decided the winners of each of the categories.
There will also be a couple of special awards this year from The Size of Wales who will present a special Go Green Day Award for an organisation who has went above and beyond in supporting the national fundraising day in October to help protect a rainforest the Size of Wales. There will also be a Special Recognition Award for an individual who has made an extensive contribution to the sustainability movement in Wales.
Cynnal Cymru will also be hosting a roundtable before the awards to encourage the finalists and sponsors to come together to collaborate and develop innovative and sustainable solutions for the future.
Mari Arthur, Director of Cynnal Cymru said
“We are very much looking forward to the Sustain Wales Awards which promises to be a brilliant evening. It is a great opportunity to celebrate so much amazing work in the field of sustainability. Good luck to all the finalists tonight and thank you to all our sponsors – University of Wales Trinity Saint David, Acuity Legal, Principality Stadium, Interserve, Dwr Cymru – Welsh Water, The Open University, Griffiths, Melin Homes, Wales Online and Enterprise Rent a Car. We look forward to working with all our finalists and sponsors over the coming year towards creating a more sustainable and low-carbon future.”
Tickets are available to purchase on Ticketsource if you would like to attend.
The finalists the categories are:
- Sustainable Business of the Year – Halen Mon – Anglesey Sea Salt, Principality Building Society, Enterprise Rent a Car
- Sustainable Community Group – Gwern y Domen Conservation Group, Datblygiadau Egni Gwledig (DEG), Ynni Ogwen Cyf
- Public Sector Award Sustainable Project – South Wales Police and Crime Commissioner, Healthy Hillsides (Natural Resources Wales, Wildlife Trust South & West Wales, SW Fire & Rescue Service & Rhondda Cynon Taf), Llanelli Rural Council
- Sustainable School – Burry Port Community Primary School, Thornhill Primary School, Dragon LNG
- Sustainable Social Enterprise– Pembrokeshire Coastal Forum, Lia’s Kitchen, Awel Co-operative
- Sustainable Venue – Ty Mawr Lime, Principality Stadium, Venue Cymru
- Sustainability Champion – Iain Cox, Alexandra Wall, Trish Hoddinott
- Sustainable Innovation – Port of Milford Haven, Newport City Homes, Dwr Cymru – Welsh Water
- Sustainable Further Education/Higher Education Institution – Bangor University, Aberystwyth University, University of Wales Trinity Saint David